Re: Disk Layout/Partitioning Practices

Felix Miata wrote:

Alan Dunkley wrote:

2x80GB RAID-1 disks

How? I tried SuSE, Fedora, Lindows & Mandrake, and couldn't find out how
to install to RAID1. All I could find said this is only possible via
software, creating a major chicken & egg situation that is complicated
by having windoze already installed using the motherboard "hardware"
RAID.

There is nothing wrong with Linux software RAID, in fact it does have some strong advantages.. But I am not going to fire up that debate again..

If you are refering to the Promise or similar ATA RAID controllers these are also *software* RAID since most of the RAID finctionality is performed by the driver not the card.. The only exception to this that I know of so far is the 3ware ATA RAID cards which are true hardware RAID controllers, and the driver is included in Linux as well so installation is a breeze..

later..