Re: SpeedTouch 330 modem

Colin J Thomson wrote:

Hi Mark,  Antonio

On Tuesday 27 January 2004 21:48, Mark wrote:

Get a DSL modem that works on ethernet and not USB. Then pretty much
the modem will work with any OS as long as your network card is working.

OK, so you both say keep away from USB, hmmm
FYI the system here is just Desktop use not networked at all and no other OS, so the best route is? sorry for the Dumb question, I guess its late ;)

Colin

My short experience (on my boxes and my friend's boxes that I assist) with RH and Fedora is:

1) desktop with USB: it didn't work until an ethernet modem replaced it, immediately it connected to Internet, and my friend was happy and USB was trashed away
2) another desktop: the guy is struggling with an Eagle USB modem (Sagem) and if you are a newbie like him it is not easy.I suggested to switch to Ethernet but he was short of money ;-).
3) my home network and office network have both an ethernet modem connected to a double card box acting as firewall/router for other boxes (either Windows or Linux): very easy setup and no trouble during operation.

Glad to help

--

Antonio M.

Written with  Mozilla 1.6 on Redhat Linux Fedora Core 1
You can grab Mozilla at www.mozilla.org
Scritto con Mozilla 1.6 su Redhat Linux Fedora Core 1
Puoi scaricare Mozilla presso www.mozilla.org