Re: Configuring NETBIOS/Samba

Roger Grosswiler wrote:
If you really want this, you can (not very, but still) easily install the
bind-dns-server on your linux-box with the linux-dhcp-server (preferable)
as dynamic-dns-server. i do so with my servers at home, this works very
fine and is not that hard...
howto for dhcp-server-config:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/s1-dhcp-configuring-server.html
howto for bind
:http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80095&highlight=ddns
(seems not that bad...)
so you will get your ips updated, if you customize also your
dhclient-script on your clients (linux-clients only) and tell all your
clients where to find your dns-server...
HTH
Roger

Thanks Roger, but I feel this solution is a little over the top for my home network. Surely there must be a way of doing NETBIOS DNS lookup under Fedora? That's all I really want! :)

--
Tom Taylor
<tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>