Re: What is exec-shield

Vincent wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 15:52:25 -0700
Guy Fraser <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

After fighting with prelink, I was finaly able to get wine working again, by disabling exec-shield in prelink.

This is the first I have heard of it, and I have been working with Linux since 95, and RHL since 97.

It's new to Fedora

What is it for and why would it be wanted?

In short it provides protection against exploits specifically stack, buffer and function pointer overflows. It is not a full solution to killing all shellcode and exploits. But you wont take a significant performance hit so It's worth it.

This is a good thing, I hope you re-enable it.

...snip

I would re-enable it if It would let programs run under wine, it seems to think all Win32 applications are bad. :-(

I don't much care for Win32 myself, but until FileMaker Pro and TCM are ported to Linux, I don't have much choice but to use wine.

Cheers