Re: XFree86 error [solution]

I managed to fix this problem, sort of. This was a problem with the drivers which I was not able to resolve. I plan on submitting a bug report to the powervr team, but I doubt it will make a difference since the card is about 7 days older than dirt.

Instead of using the Kyro II custom drivers, I switched to the generic VESA drivers. Since I don't do any hardcore animation or gaming on this PC it doesn't make a bit of difference.

Jeremiah McElroy

Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:

Jeremiah McElroy wrote:

I just installed Fedora Core 1 as a clean install. When I try to start X using the PowerVR drivers for my graphics card (which I downloaded and installed), I see the following error in my XFree86.0.log file:
(++) using VT number 7

Fatal server error: xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 7 (Input/output error)

I have never seen this problem in the past. I used to run Red Hat 9.0 and I also built the drivers by hand. I have attached my XF86Config file in case that is needed.

Thanks,

Jeremiah McElroy

I had the same problem yesterday.. A machine that I had installed three days earlier simply started to have this error.. To make a long story short , I checked the device permissions , so it would match the permissions of the other ttys and reconfigured X... After some fight it worked fine...

Pedro Macedo