Re: Clean up the up2date directory, /var partition?

At 11:40 1/24/2004, you wrote:
My 583MB /var partition is 88% full, with a large chunk of that 88%
being in the /var/spool/up2date directory.  Is there a procedure for
cleaning out the up2date directory?

The /var/spool/up2date directory should contain .rpm files and .hdr files. I am 99% confident that nothing you delete will hurt the up2date process (and I am 100% sure that you won't damage the RPM database). I suggest you simply delete the .rpm files (which take up all the space) and leave the .hdr files since these are what up2date uses to determine what updates are available, what they depend on, and whether you need them.

In that same vein, is it okay to delete the huge lastlog file in
/var/log?

No. The (usually) 19MB lastlog file should not be deleted.

Determined to stick with the penguin thingee

Good for you. You'll find that you get more and more comfortable as time goes on. I have been running servers on Red Hat Linux for many years now, but have still not managed to migrate my desktop computer. Patience and time, and you will learn more and more. Besides, Linux is really getting more mature as time goes on. :-)

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com