Re: Simple, but daunting query -> Post Installation

WA9ALS - John wrote:
> Still newbie - I use yum without problems - even from the default servers.
I have a question though -   What does it mean after it downloads 4-5
headers and then says "nothing to update"?  IOW, what is the significance of
downloading a few headers??  (It HAS downloaded AND installed some updates
when they are available.)  Tnx - John

If new headers show up on the server, it downloads them.
When running something like "yum update" or "yum list updates", however, it is only looking for new versions of packages that you actually have installed.

Basically that means that some packages that you do not have installed were updated. "yum list available" will list available packages that you don't have installed.