Re: Windows Behavior - ALT + Number

Hi,

I am programming since years under Windows and (please don't ask) I
teached myself to don't use the normal keys for "{[]}". Instead I was

I don't have a direct answer for you (I am also interested in the answer actually). But since the days of the Commodore PET that I started on, I have trained myself to the US keyboard, despite the fact I am in the UK and have a differently marked keyboard accordingly (it wants to use the pound currency sign on shift-4 instead of $.... I'm British: no Strings/EnvVars please). For every machine that I use, I tell it to use the US layout. In this way I am sure I will have all the important characters for the lingua franca.

In fact your problem even sounds more difficult than mine, because basically I can reach every sign on the keyboard (and the euro currenvy sign is on a complete diffrent key), but I personally think it is easier to write the some characters over the num block. My knowledge about linux is to less to get an good "attack point" for this issue. I thought about that there must be some point in the system to map keys. For example, for rebooting using STRG+ALT+DEL. I thought about to add here something like "if user press ALT+91, write an [ on the screen". But I guess even if I would succed, it only would working in the console itself, possibly not in most other text programs and also not on the x server. But I am still hoping someone has an ultimate solution for this issue ;)

thx,
Florian