Re: Consolehelper and sudo (was Re: Export)

William Hooper wrote:
William Hooper said:

So... I don't know what we're chasing. Using sudo on xterm works from the
SSH connection. Using sudo and consolehelper works locally. I would
suggest filing a bug against userhelper.
Ack.  I mean I suggest filing a bug against sudo, since su works.

But sudo's doing nothing wrong. It's consolehelper's fault for trying to send X crap around even when you're already root, and getting in the way of how administrators used to run these tools (by having /sbin later in their PATH).

su works because you end up with root's environment variables (and path), thus avoiding consolehelper entirely.

sudo has problems because you still have your own path, and thus run into the consolehelper junk.

My workaround has been to have administrators put /sbin and /usr/sbin -first- in their personal paths, avoiding consolehelper and the problem.