Re: Samba printing problem [solution]

Roger Grosswiler wrote:

The short question is this. I've added a Samsung ML-1710 laser printer
to my Fedora system. How do I share this printer with Samba?

i had a similar problem to my HP PSC 750 - also via USB. Some documents
need printed by samba via a kind of application stream, this is not fully
enabled in cups. So, my printer works now, with a small workaround:

try the following, it helped for me, perhaps you have the same effect:

insert in your /etc/samba/smb.conf in your [printers] part:

print command = lpr -r -o raw -P %p %s
lpq command = lpstat -o %p
lprm command = cancel %p-%j

this tells samba to send the data in raw-format and other things.

then, comment out (activate) the following lines (at the end of the files)
so they look like:

files: /etc/cups/mime.types and mime.convs
application/octet-stream        application/vnd.cups-raw        0       -

Roger,

Your suggestions did seem to solve my problem. I can now print to the laser printer remotely with Samba. Thanks!

So when I said that I didn't know if the problem was with Samba or CUPS, I was right ;). Out of curiosity, how did you figure the solution?

Thanks!

Andrew