Re: Upgrade

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 19:57, Fred Nastos wrote:
> On January 14, 2004 02:42 pm, Michael Thompson wrote:
> > Hi Fedora-list,
> >
> >   I am currently using Redhat 9, and when April 30th comes round, I am
> >   looking to change distos.
> >
> >   What I am asking therefore is: Can I upgrade RH9 to Fedora, and it
> >   keeps all the settings? Mainly the Mailserver, FTP, web server etc?
>
> Related to this, I heard from someone on the local (toronto) linux users
> mailing list that one can upgrade from an earlier redhat (i.e. 7.0 to 9)
> to fedora by the following procedure:
>
> First, run up2date on redhat 7, 8, or 9 to make it up2date.
> Then get fedora-release-1-3.rpm from ftp.redhat.com.
> Then run
> rpm -Uvh fedora-release-1-3.rpm
> yum -y update
>
> and this will upgrade your system (slowly, of course).  How does
> this work?  Does fedora-release-1-3.rpm contain yum?

No.  The xyz-release-m-n.rpm would be required for any RH-derived
upgrade, but is primarily there to satisfy requires and provide release
notes and first boot stuff.  Upgrade philosophies using various tools
and repository types have been discussed in several recent threads (apt
vs yum vs up2date...) so won't go into that here, but why not just do a
CD or network upgrade using Anaconda - the "official" approach?  Chances
of success are considerably higher, and potential time investment much
lower.

(OT:  Have tried some of these approaches on a VMware testbed in an
attempt to upgrade a RH-7.3 system to WBEL 3 - since Anaconda refuses to
do it - without success.  Haven't found a good HOWTO for this with
Google, nor on either this list or the WBEL lists.  Still looking.
Probably time for a nice clean install and house-cleaning anyway, but
all the old settings take a lot of time to recreate.)

> I don't have
> yum, so would I have to doenload it seperately.
>
> Thanks

Good luck whatever road you take.  Would be interested in what you
decide to do since many RH users are facing same dilemma.

Phil