Re: FC1 on the enterprise?

Hi WipeOut,

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:27:25 +0000
WipeOut <wipe_out@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Andre Costa wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I will probably be assigned the task of installing and configuring
> >Linux on a mail server that handles a couple of thousands email
> >accounts(close to 100,000). I had used RH Linux on production servers
> >in the past, and have been using FC1 on my desktop ever since it came
> >out.
> >
> >I can't see no reason why I would not use it for this assignment
> >either, but if folks on this list could share some experiences (not
> >necessarily related to mail server installations, but any FC1
> >enterprise use), I would be most grateful.
> >
> >BTW: I know about WhiteBox Linux, and I don't really discard it as an
> >option. Any experiences related to using it are welcome as well
> >(although I don't think I will find many on this particular ML).
> >
> >TIA
> >
> >Andre
> >
> IMO if your user base is that big you should definately look at a
> distro with a longer upgrade cycle.. So either RHEL, Trustix, Whitebox
> or Taolinux would be good options to look into if you want to stay
> with an RH base..

Thks, I definitely agree. Actually, I think I expressed my doubts the
wrong way: I am looking for free rh-based alternatives to FC1 for
enterprise use (and, to be honest, I don't even know if I will be able
to choose which distro to use). I knew about WhiteBox Linux, but didn't
know about TaoLinux. I also learned about centOS, thks to an off-list
reply.

TL seems to be very interesting, but AFAICS it is maintained by a single
guy, which leaves me kind of apprehensive about its future. Considering
this, centOS seems to be a better alternative. As for WBL, I couldn't
realize how much people are behind it.

> For the mail server I would look at qmailtoaster.com.. I have just
> started testing this system and it looks really good.. Management of
> virtual domains, aliases, mailing lists and user mail quotas are all
> very easy..

Thks again, I will keep that in mind. I believe the guys at the ISP
already use vpopmail (http://www.inter7.com/vpopmail.html), have you had
any experience with it? Can you compare them?

Best,

Andre

--
Andre Oliveira da Costa