RE: an up2date idea

Em Ter, 2004-01-13 às 14:06, Don escreveu:

>> My idea is to move the server selection process out of the client and
>> onto the network/server.

>What about torrent-enabling servers to keep their bandwidth a little
>lower (well, much lower most of the time)

The problem I have with bittorrent is it doesn't work well with machines
behind a NAT router.
Or, I don't know how to set it up to work well behind my NAT router. :-)

My understanding of how BT works... to be effective, BT requires other
machines on the public internet to have access to my machine while my
download is in progress. MY machine then acts as another source for files,
effectively increasing the supply of servers for people to download files
from. When I start a BT download, BT also starts a "server" on my machine to
serve up the very file it is downloading.

Since my external firewall blocks most incoming traffic, my machine won't
even see a request from another machine. BT also detects this "non-sharing
attitude" and thinks I don't play nice in the sandbox.

I have multiple machines behind a NAT router.... if I want each of them to
act as BT "sources", how can I do that?

Answer:
BT on each of my machines has to send a periodic "here I am" message to the
main BT server. That "here I am" message will cause a brief (configurable)
opening in my external firewall, and build the needed NAT translation so
somebody "out there" can connect to each of my machines accordingly. As long
as traffic continues, the opening in my firewall remains.

It's doable, but I don't think BT does that now... it just assumes certain
ports are open...

Don