Loopback question???

Guys?

I ask this question only because it is NOT in /etc/hosts of my FC1
system -- is the loopback line in /etc/hosts still needed in FC1???  The
line I'm referring to is:

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost

Everything I read states this line is mandatory in Red Hat Linux 9, that
if this line is missing in /etc/hosts it should be added, and, indeed,
it is there in my RHL9 box but here in FC1, the line is missing. So too
on my friend's FC1 system.  Since FC1 is RHL9-based, I have added to the
/etc/hosts script.

Did I do wrong by adding this to /etc/hosts in my FC1 box?  Is this
loopback address embedded elsewhere and so no longer located in
/etc/hosts?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated...
--
"Ain't Linux Fun!?!"
Mike Becker -> k3ant@xxxxxxx <-