Re: Whitebox Linux

Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:

From: "WipeOut" <wipe_out@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Daniel Veillard wrote:

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 01:12:31PM +0000, WipeOut wrote:

David C. Hart wrote:

Fedora looks more current. Is there anything in WB that is not in FC1?

Yes, theoretical support for the current version till 2008.. :)

Makes using Fedora great for desktops and development systems and WBEL
great from production servers..

Let's be cristal clear there, you might get support for Whitebox Linux
but it won't come from Red Hat.

Yes that is understood.. Maybe I should have worded my comment slightly
differently..

I should have said that there will be theoretically be errata updates
for a longer period than is presently being offered by Fedora.. There is
in fact no support for Whitebox Linux other than from the Whitebox
community..

Okay, so that begs the question...IIRC, the Fedora community will only
support a released version of FC for approx two months after the release of
a new version, which means that FC1 and RHL9 will both have their
errata/security update support discontinued at about the same time.  For
what amount of time is the WBEL community committing to support a released
version after the next one comes out?

Its based on the SRPM's from RHEL3 so for as long as RH release updates to RHEL (5 years if I rememeber correctly) there should be updates availible for WBEL..

And will errata/security updates be available via up2date/yum/apt/some other automated scheme?

It uses up2date with YUM as the back end just the same as Fedora does..

At lease this is all from what I have read on the website and in their mailing list archives..

Later..