Re: Using Telnet and getting message - Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

Barry Yu wrote:

When I am in Windows 2k I could use Telnet to remote host Red Hat 9 and have command controll over it. But when I tried to use Telnet from the same Red Hat 9 machine to Telnet to same W2k machine, I was getting Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused. Can someone help? Tks.

Hmm, if you were lucky then telnet would not work in either direction :-)

Do you have a telnet server running on the Win2K machine? Does the Win2K machine have a firewall up? Is there some sort of NAT between them? Lot's of reasons why it wouldn't work.

I'd use SSH to talk between the machines unless the only network they are ever on is a "null modem" cable one to the other...

Mike