Re: Installing Sun Java

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 23:49, Krikket wrote:
> > >
> > > ln -s /path/to/java/javaplugin_oji.so
> > > /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/javaplugin_oji.so
> > >
> > > or for just one user
> > >
> > > ln -s plugin /home/user/.mozilla/plugins/javaplugin_oji.so
> >
> > I'm also having difficulties, and I did that.  Copied and pasted from the
> > website, to insure there were no typos.
> >
> > Mozilla still doesn't want to recognize it.
> >
> > Also is Jave for the browser the same thing as the Java VM (Virtual
> > Machine)?
> >
> > (I have another program that requires the Java VM to run, but it's not
> > recognizing Java either.  Freshly downloaded from the sun website, so that
> > shouldn't be a problem -- unless a bug has crept into the code they're
> > distributing...)
>
> I'll post my attached tiny howto again.

I don't think it came through...  Would you please resend it?

> Regarding Java for the browser...  maybe yes and maybe no. It depends on
> whether or not you actually meant to ask about JavaScript for the
> browser.

Nope.  I"m looking for java.  It's needed to run Odigo, and a few other
programs like limeware.

> Despite the similarity of their names, JavaScript and Java are very
> different things:
>
> 1. JavaScript executes code that is compliant with the ECMAScript
> Language Specification (see
> http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/files/ECMA-ST/Ecma-262.pdf).
> JavaScript code is usually embedded in web site code, and is understood
> and executed by your browser. Microsoft uses proprietary extensions to
> the ECMAScript standard that are only understood by their Internet
> Explorer browser.
>
> 2. Java is Sun/Sunsoft's platform-independent language (derived from
> C++) which requires a Java Virtual Machine to be installed on the local
> host to execute its semi-compiled code. Java "applets" can be downloaded
> via HTTP and run on your system by the Java VM. (Java is what Microsoft
> tried to add Windows-only extensions to, in violation of their license.)
> If you want to create Java code, download and install the Java System
> Developer's Kit (SDK) rather than the Java Runtime Engine (JRE).

I understand the difference.  Unfortunately, it's getting Java running
that seems to be broken.  I started with going to Sun's website and
downloading "Java for your browser".  Is there a step I missed?

Krikket