Re: computation-friendly kernels

Bevan C. Bennett wrote:
Yes, I've just been doing some basic profiling with 'time program' using one specific multithreaded (Java-based) application with various input files. To be more exact, I only see the differences on the largest of these sample cases, less intensive runs show a smaller difference.

Might it be possible that you're seeing I/O subsystem differences, rather than computational/scheduling effects? What kind of split do you see if something is largely compute-only vs. I/O-only (minimal computation). -Bob Arendt