Re: Proper ettiquette for posting messages

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Iain Buchanan wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 05:41, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
> > > Understood :-)  I wasn't recommending it, just curious about the
> > > possibilities.  And I mistakenly thought that you were the person who
> > > was *doing* the enforcement...
> >
> > I used to be.  I've switched branches, so now I'm in charge of software
> > development instead of server admin. Same IT division, different branch. :)
>
> Are you a developer as well or just 'in charge'?

Yep, I'm a developer as well, though it's been awhile since I've been hip
deep in C or assembly. :)  Heck, I haven't written any serious java in a
couple of years, either.  *gasp*  Does this mean that I have to give up
the title of "developer"?  LOL

Seriously, while I've been programming, engineering networks and adminning
for 20 years, since I moved into management I've been doing more planning
and project management.  I don't like it as much as coding or setting up
servers, but it pays better. :)

> I'd be curious to hear
>  what your developers thought about this strict enforcement.  I'm a
> software developer, and my pc is my pc.

Well, I work for a state law enforcement agency, and my pc is the state's
pc. :)

> If they want me to work here, I
> install my most efficient set of OS/apps.  (Under the assumption that I
> don't need/bother tech support with questions about stuff they don't
> support).  I even take it home sometimes to use my adsl when there are
> major weekend things to do (like install fedora).

If my developers and I agree that they need a tool, then I have to justify
it to my boss.  Then  we either purchase it or print out the license
stating that we don't have to pay for it.  However, we are strictly Office
for productivity, etc.  So, mozilla isn't an option to my boss, hence to
me.

> I guess I'm lucky to have such an understanding with my employer.

Well, at least I had him going towards RedHat.  Until they screwed the
pooch with the Fedora Core switchover.  Nothing scares an IT division head
more than seeing a company that can't figure out how they're going to
position their products.  Gives them a lack of that warm, comfy feeling.

Ben