Re: gnutella client for a NON programmer?

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 22:05, Krikket wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Trevor Smith wrote:
>
> > On January 7, 2004 1:00 am, Alex White wrote:
> >
> > > gtk-gnutella is quite simple. It's located at sourceforge.net
> >
> > Are you kidding around with me? I'm afraid this is the sort of thing I
> > specifically do not want. The "instructions" are plain enough: Configure,
> > make, make install. But all I get (on the make step) is hundreds of lines of
> > errors. The Configure script seemed to think things were fine on my system
> > and I told it to do it's things with default values (I haven't moved anything
> > and let FC1 install everything where it wanted to). Shrug.
>
> I had problems with Gnutella as well.  Don't recall exactly what they
> were, as I've played with enough P2P programs that they're blurring
> together...

My big problem with Gnutella is the quality of data on the network.

[rant-mode=on]

Why can't people label things correctly on p2p networks?  Why are almost
all song parodies listed as "Weird Al" or Dr. Demento", even in cases
where the song is sung by a female or so raunchy Dr. Demento would never
play it? I have never seen the level of abject cluelessness of
attribution as I have on the p2p networks.  Not on Usenet. Not on the
web.

No wonder people are leaving the p2p networks.

[rant-mode=off]

The other problem with gtk-gnutella is that it uses an odd configure
script.  (Looks like what perl uses.)  It also has a typo on the script
to build the spec file. (I will be sending in a bug report on that
tonight.)

--
"Push that big, big granite sphere way up there from way down here!
Gasp and sweat and pant and wheeze! Uh-oh! Feel momentum cease!