Bug Day 10 : Jan 7th : Happy New Year!

I hope everyone had a restful holiday. I would have, but my little
sister decided to take and hide the playstation 2 memory card from me
over the break so i couldn't finish building all the ultimate coasters
in rollercoaster tycoon and unlock the hidden theme park...but enough
about me.

Well to be perfectly honest with everyone, my attempt at finding a theme
for this week went up in smoke when someone who will rename nameless (
his initials are Dave Jones) decided the specific testing i was going to
ask people to help out with wasn't needed.

But let's recap on where things stand with general bug busting issues,
that you, as an enthusiastic Fedora community member can make a
difference in.

* Fedora.us QA:
Fedora.us still needs continuing help with community QA efforts to get
packages published. There are 314 packages in the QA list waiting for
community input before they are ready to be pushed out to the
repositories for general use. (http://www.fedora.us/QA)
I want to remind everyone that until Fedora Extras exists, the fedora.us
repositories are the place the Fedora leadership is encouraging people
to contribute extra packages. But submitting packages isn't enough. It
is important for community members to check over the submitted packages
and make sure they are good enough to be released to the general public.
Making a commitment to help QA packages waiting to be published at
fedora.us is a very good to get involved in development as a community
member. References:
http://www.fedora.us/wiki/PackageSubmissionQAPolicy
http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraDocuments

* Vesa Driver Testing: http://www.fedora.us/wiki/VesaDriverTesting :
Mike Harris has asked for testing of the Vesa video driver, which could
be used for a "safe mode" in Fedora. The problem is that many BIOS's
Vesa modes are broken, so he needs a good blacklist of broken situations
with the Vesa driver.  Please follow the instructions at the url given
above and test your video hardware with the vesa driver, and file a bug
report if vesa does not work with your video hardware.

*Fedora Bugzilla Triage:
An effort to to be able to organize Fedora community into a nimble
bugzilla strike force who can take the burden of day to day bugzilla
maintenance from the core developers. What that means in less humourous
terms is...finding a way to have community members going into bugzilla
and closing things like duplicate bugs, and finding the easyfix bugs and
marking them, so its easier for the developers to find and work on
bugreports. If we can help save developers time searching through
bugreports by helping organize the reports, developers can spend more
time actually fixing bugs. Here's a basic sketch of how its going to
work:

1)you search through the Fedora bugs at bugzilla.redhat.com looking for
things like duplicates and easyfix bugs.
2)you find a bug report that you think is a duplicate
3)stop into #fedora-bugs irc channel and discuss whether the bug is
actually a duplicate or not with people there
4)add a comment  triage->duplicate #bugnumber-of-duplicate
5)a trusted triage community member will search for the
triage->duplicate string and then close the bug as being a duplicate

I promise to spend tomorrow's bug day going in and taking care of as
many of the community supplied triage comments sitting in bugzilla at
the moment. And please, if you are interested in helping out with triage
please hop on #fedora-bugs channel on the freenode irc network tomorrow
during 9am-5pm EST  or drop me an email message. And if you are already
made an effort to help out experimenting with triage->comments, find me
tomorrow or send me an email so I can get a head count. I'm serious
about starting to follow up on the comments tomorrow as part of the days
bug day activities.

-jef