Re: Install on large Hard drive

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 10:54 am, obarlow@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm attempting to install fedora core 1 on my system.  It doesn't recognize
> the full size of my 120G hard drive.  Other linux distributions are able to
> recognize it.  Is there a module I need to load for fedora to recognize the
> full hard drive?

I have successfully installed Fedora Core 1 on a 200G Maxtor.  Are you sure
other distributions have recognized the full size?

If the drive is completely empty and you want to reset the MBR and partition
table, boot the FC1 disk 1 in the CD-ROM drive, type 'linux rescue' and the
ISOLINUX prompt, tell it not to mount your drives or start networking, and
wait for the shell.  Once at the shell, you will need to determine what drive
is the 120G.  dmesg will tell you (use dmesg|less).  Making very careful to
have the right device name (after all, you are getting ready to blank a
portion of a disk with no hope of recovery!), issue 'dd if=/dev/zero
of=120G-device bs=1024K count=1' (substituting the correct device name for
120G-device: for the first IDE drive it would be either /dev/hda or
/tmp/hda).  Then reinstall.  Sometimes partition tables lie.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology