Freeze on boot - setting hard drive parameters

Hello,

I have the following kernels installed:
2.4.22-1.2135 (smp and single)
2.4.22-1.2138 (smp and single)
2.6.0-1.24 (smp and single)

The only ones that work are the 2.6.0 kernels and the
other single kernels.  None of the 2.4 smp kernels
work for me.  When my system boots with the 2.4 smp
kernels, it hangs on either 'Setting hard drive
parameters' or 'Applying IA32 Code' or 'Checking for
new hardware'.

My system is:
Dell 1650
Dual P3 1400

My initial guess was that it had something to do with
DMA but no matter what I put on the kernel command
line, it seems to fail, ide=nodma, allowcddman.

2.6.0 kernel seems to be working fine so far but I
understand it is development so results may vary.
This was working fine under RH9 I should mention.

Any ideas?

=====
Terry