Sound Drivers

Ok, I've tried all the stuff you guys suggested before, eve some stuff, like ALSA, that I found on my own. I just have one question left. How do I get the sound system on my Thinkpad 600 to work under Fedora Core 1? It's not that special, just your basic Cirrus CS423x chipset type sound system. Nothing fancy, and fairly prevalent out there, but you'd think no one has ever tried to get this chipset working under linux before. Sure, there's stuff out there, but everything I've tried is either incompatible with the file layout of fedora, or there is something missing, like /dev/midi, or some function in the compiled driver. In any event, it seems to me there should be an actual solution for this in what should be a fairly mature distro. In fact, I can report that a few months ago I installed a copy of Lycoris on this machine, and a copy of Red Hat 8. In both instances the sound system worked fine after installation. Couldn't get my Nic to work under RH8, and didn't like Lycoris, so I went back to windows. I don't want to go back to windows this time. I'm sticking with fedora, even if it is in silence.

Nick