Re: Compupic

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 00:04:12 -0500, Gregory Woodbury wrote:

>> Currently I have to run VMWare/XP/PixVue just to annotate my photos.
>
> Could the "gallery" app from sourceforge possibly offer some help as an
> image management app?   I don't know what Compupic offers, but gallery got
> a favorable review in some of the Linux mags last month.

I have done scavenger hunts through SF looking for Image Management apps
before, but AFAICT they all centre around using PHP to create
web-galleries, which isn't exactly what I want.

What qualifies, IMHO, as "Image Management", is an application like IMatch
(www.photools.com). The question of a Linux version was posed on the
(Google groups) forum, some time ago, but the response was the
archetypal "We don't do Linux" - to paraphrase.

I really don't have the time to download and try out the plethora of
PHP-Web-Galley software on SF, to see if it is true "Image Management" or
not (i.e. EXIF/IPTC/XMP editing, metadata searching, backup and database
support, etc.), but if someone can say with authority that such an
application exists, then they'd really make my day, since this particular
functionality is the very last thread tying me to Mr Gates' so-called
Operating System.

-
K.