Re: sticky bit?

On or about 2004-01-05 20:04, Peter Kiem whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

Right! There it is! I was trying to set it and expecting to see that 't'
but
could not make it happen to a file.

I think under Linux you can only do it to a directory not files.

(Don't worry, this is just a home machine and I'm just playing. There is
nothing of value on the system yet. I may completely reinstall once I get
the
hang of things.)

Been there, done that :)

Please go back there and do a "man chmod", which will show you two very clear paragraphs about the sticky bit on files and directories, answering all your questions.

--
Fritz Whittington
He not busy being born is busy dying. (Bob Dylan)