Re: udf cd rw

Fritz Whittington wrote:

On or about 2004-01-04 15:01, Maupertuis Jean whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

has somebody win to use cdrw with filesystem udf?
The cd is well formatted because i can use it under windows.
the unit under linux is scd0
first i try to mount it: mount -t udf /dev/scd0 /mnt
but it tell that /dev/scd0 is write protected
i chmod 0666 /dev/scd0 same result
i install (makedev) /dev/pktcdvd and try
pktsetup /dev/pktcdvd0 /dev/scd0
result:open packet device: No such device or address
I don't know what to do now

Are you mounting the CD-RW in a drive that's capable of burning CD's? I don't have a burner on my Linux box, but certainly when I create a udf CD on the Windows box I can mount it on the Linux box , and of course it mounts as read only.
I can't see anything in the docs I have that says writing to a udf fs is not supported, even if you have a CD drive which is capable of writing. I do note that there is no mkfs.udf command in /sbin, which provides a powerful clue that perhaps you can only write to such disks using a burner program.

I've only found UDF to be read-only not writable. However, using CD burning software, what I do is to blank a CD-RW then write to it is ISO9660 as though it were a CD-R rather than CD-RW. As I use it for backups, writing a lot at once is what I want to do. There is not the convenience of adding a single file to it as with UDF, but this fits my needs.

I would like UDF write support, but have not found any.

Regards

Chris