Re: My Screen goes of During Start up

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 02:41:59PM +0000, Mudiaga Otokpeya wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I installed fedora core in some of my client systems
> in my cafe. Which went on fine, but at some point in
> time I decide to change the unprobed monitor type to a
> generic crt type with 1240x746.
>
> Now the system cannot boot to X window environment
> becuase of the wrong setting of the display. I dont
> want to reinstall the OS. Is there anything I can do
> to change the display setting before it boots to the X
> server just like Safe Mode in Windows.

Yes.

Use GRUB's boot editing facility to add "init=3" to the command line
for the kernel. E.g:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb init=3

Once you boot, log in as root. Edit this line in inittab from this:

id:5:initdefault:

id:3:initdefault:

This is a precaution in case you have to reboot.

Now run redhat-config-xfree86 and set your system up correctly. Use
"startx" to test the display configuration, and exit the GUI back to
console with your normal logout proceedure.

Once you are satisified, cd to /etc/X11. Copy XF86Config to a suitable
file name that indicates the resilution and hardware. E.g, on my
system I use "XF86Config.nv.nec.1280x1024" to indicate that I am using
the Xfree86 nvidia driver on an NEC LCD display at 1280x1024. You
might also change its permissions to read only. That way you preserve
it against future similar accidents.

Try a reboot with a kernel command line that includes "init=5". If you
are satisifed with that, change the initdefault line of inittab back
to its original value, and you are done.