Re: Network startup on IBM Thinkpad

John Ellenberger wrote:

Have been running Fedora on an older thinkpad (600X) since its release using
a 3COM PC-Card networking card.  After a few updates I am running into
problems with the network not starting up properly.  If I do a normal
unattended reboot everything appears to come-up normally but the network
isn't functioning (can't resolve/ping anything beyond localhost).  If I do a
hard shutdown and go through the file check sequence everything works.  The
machine is usable but it is pretty annoying (and dangerous) to always have
to crash it when I'm rebooting.

Disabling kudzu might be a bit safer than powering off to force a disk check.

Also disabling the rhgb (graphical boot) might help resolve the issue.

Any ideas what is going on here?  Is there a way to force the network to
start when it comes-up without properly initializing?

I ran dhclient from my rc.local file when I originally had my 3com problem. This worked, but included problems with certain applications not working properly.

Check bugzilla for errors related to 3com cards and also this lists archives. There might be something which would help resolve your problem or at least bypass the problem until a resolution is achieved.

Jim

John

--
You will attract cultured and artistic people to your home.