Problem with USB hard disk on Fedora Core 1

Hello,

I have a 30GB USB HDD that I use to store data and software I dont use so often so that I can free up my internal HDD.

I had managed to install RedHat 8.0 on my Sony VAIO GRZ660 with the updated 2.19 kernel instead of the default kernel that comes with RH8. The USB HDD was working quite fine though a lot of other stuff like acpi, firewire and the Memory Stick were not working, but that wasnt a big problem for me then.

I got a copy of Fedore C1 and since acpi was said to be working in this version, I decided to upgrade. However, now I have acpi, firewire and the sony memory stick working but I simply cannot get the system to see the USB HDD. It shows up in /proc/bus/usb/devices but it is not assigned a device /dev/sdb which I used to get before in RH8. Where could the problem be?

Regards,

Andrew