irssi + screen + gnome-terminal problems

Hi, I'm quite new to this list and to redhat, and I can tell that
I like a lot fedora and the community of this mailing list.
The problems I found in these longs 6 weeks has been solved very
quickly, except this one I'm going to show you.
(I cant hide it makes me go mad:)

Using irssi inside a screen session on a gnome-terminal I have the same
problem explained here:

http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2003-Apr/3559.html

Quote:
"I have a screen session running with irssi in it. I discovered that
gnome-terminal after a short while experiences graphics corruption in
the tab where screen/irssi was running. ^L would sort this, but only
until the next update of any text would occur. Leaving this for another
10-15 minutes the whole gnome-terminal process would start taking long
time to redraw _any_ window and starting a top in an xterm would reveal
gnome-terminal eating 99% CPU until the redraw was done."

I'm using Fedora Core 1 and I updated all three programs to the last
release but I have still the same problem.

irssi-0.8.9-0.rhfc1.dag
screen-4.0.1-2
gnome-terminal-2.4.1-2

Can anyone help me? Is there any work around? patches?
(PS. If it's possibile I would prefer not to use other programs, like
xchat instead of irssi or xterm/aterm/eterm/rxvt instead of gnome-term).

Thanks in advance.

--
Federico Simoncelli
e-mail: <f dot simon at email dot it>