Re: sendmail quickstart guide?

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

At 16:11 1/2/2004, you wrote:

I want to setup a mailserver for my account. I just changed the MX record
for my domain, and i am drowning in the sendmail options. Is there something
like a quickstart guide? I already saw the RH9 one.
What's the best starting place?

I doubt it's the best, but I wrote it and I like it and it's probably all you need as a starting place:

http://www.simpaticus.com/linux/sendmail-smtp-auth-howto.php

Interesting.

How does SMTP AUTH help on an externaly public mail server?

We use a "split" smtp system. The externaly public mail server scans mail for viruses and spam, then delivers the mail. The internal mail server is basicaly just a relay that is only accessable from the inside of our networks. When a customer send an email to another customer it goes to the internal server which delivers it to the external server before being delivered to the other customer. This ensures all mail is scanned before being deliverd. We use an external scanning service, so external mail is only allowed from the scanning service.

I was under the impression that SMTP AUTH was just for allowing "roaming" access to an SMTP server for out going mail.

We are developing a new mail server based on postfix and an SQL backend to replace our existing system. SMTP AUTH would definatly be a good idea for our "roaming" customers. I will have to bring it up as an additional feature next week.

Have a happy new year.