Re: Proper ettiquette for posting messages

Guy Fraser wrote:

Simon Perreault wrote:

On January 2, 2004 14:59, adunn@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

(something that won't get quoted because it was below the signature mark)

Can Outlook be configured to put the quoting before the reply? If not, then it
is not appropriate for participating in mailing lists.

Last time I checked this was the Fedora mailing list.

Does Outlook (Express) run on Fedora?

Under WINE, yes.

If you don't use Fedora, then why are you participating in this group?

Hey, now, let's not get snippy. Many folk use Linux, but their internet connection is via their office and they're stuck with Windows for business use.

Most of this disscussion is rediculous. Whether you respond at the top
the bottom or somewhere in the middle of a message is not determined
by the starting point of your cursor. Put the cursor where you want to
type, click the mouse, then type your comment.

Some folk don't realize they can edit the response, Guy. They assume that, since the text is provided in the window, it's writeproofed. It doesn't make sense, but it's often true.

Besides, who starts to read from the bottom of a message?

No one, but we're trying to keep the timeline of the messages straight here.

Most people look for the changes and read the relevant parts in order
to make sense of the comment. There for the only rules should be :

1) Put your comment close to part you are commenting about.

And AFTER the part you're commenting on.

2) If you don't have anything constructive to add, don't comment.
3) DO NOT send in HTML, it wastes space and bandwidth.
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-  Memory is the second thing to go, but I can't remember the first! -