Re: Proper ettiquette for posting messages

David Hunt wrote:

this figured out, as the responses are not placed where I want them to go.
Is there an ettiquette document? How should replies be formatted? I have

These links should be of help:
"The Core Rules of Netiquette":
http://www.albion.com/netiquette/corerules.html

"RFC 1855 Netiquette Guidelines":
http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html
NOTE: regarding this latter, it has been argued (to me via private mail) that these rules are 10 years old, so they should be 'chucked'. Going by that, the rules of Etiquette (common courtesy and good living) date several *hundred years*. So shoud we chuck those too? Forget about
"thank you", "excuse me", pick our teeth with a steak knife....etc...?

tried clicking on the Reply-To link in the email, but it doesn't copy any of
the original text. Do I have something setup wrong? Does my using XP to
reply have anything to do with it? Thanks for any help.

I don't use any Microsoft stuff. However, there _ought_ to be options in your
mailer to properly configure replies. Better still, use mozilla.

Breifly:
1) Post in plain text, rather than HTML *especially* when participating in lists such as fedora.
(HTML is a security risk, and a nice way for spammers to use your Windows machine as a spam-forwarder).

2) Use emoticons whenever possible :-) Even the mose skilled writers may be misunderstood,
and humor is not as universal as one may think. :-(

3) Quote only the most necessary parts when replying. (Better to *over-edit*, than repost a ton of re-quoted headers).

4) Bottom-post, please! (i.e. start your reply below quoted text).

5) Keep any signature files to 4 lines or less.

These, IMVHO, are the very *minimal* rules to which one should adhere. Oh, and *ignore* flames. If you are polite, and you get flamed, don't sink to the level or the flamer.

HTH & cheers,

Elton Woo ;-)

"You only live once: let's make life BETTER for each other."
LINUX User #193975 [AMD ATHLON CPU] ICQ #149608718.