Re: What price do you want?

Mensaje citado por Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Roger Peña Escobio wrote:
>
> > as you could notice, i'm from cuba, i'm a cuban citizen and also i live
> > in cuba, so, as explicity say in the EXPORT CONTROL paragraph, i'm
> > avoided to use the RHEL, also the beta :-(
>
> Not quite. Since you live in Cuba, you do not need to follow
> US law, only Cuba law.  The problem here is that Red Hat has
> to follow US law, which prohibits Red Hat from giving/selling
> you a copy of the software.

are you telling me that is not my problem is RedHat problem? :-)
so i have to keep quiet (my mouse close?) :-) so at least i can get the BETA release?

> > how can the BETA public version under the GPL can also be restrict
> > it by the US EXPORT CONTROL ?
>
> While Red Hat may not be allowed to give you the software, the
> GPL specifies that Red Hat can not forbid other people to give
> you a copy of the software, see section 6:  "You may not impose
> any further restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights
> granted herein."

well, please, look at the end of the README file that came with RHEL-3.0Beta
note "c" item
EXPORT CONTROL

As required by U.S. law, user represents and warrants that it: (a)
understands that certain of the software are subject to export controls
under the U.S. Commerce Departments Export Administration Regulations
(EAR); (b) is not located in a prohibited destination country under the EAR
or U.S. sanctions regulations (currently Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North
Korea, Sudan and Syria); (c) will not export, re-export, or transfer the
software to any prohibited destination, entity, or individual without the
necessary export license(s) or authorizations(s) from the U.S. Government;
(d) will not use or transfer the software for use in any sensitive nuclear,
chemical or biological weapons, or missile technology end-uses unless
authorized by the U.S. Government by regulation or specific license; (e)
understands and agrees that if it is in the United States and exports or
transfers the Software to eligible end users, it will, as required by EAR
Section 741.17(e), submit semi-annual reports to the Commerce Departments
Bureau of Industry & Security (BIS), which include the name and address
(including country) of each transferee; and (f) understands that countries
other than the United States may restrict the import, use, or export of
encryption products and that it shall be solely responsible for compliance
with any such import, use, or export restrictions.

thanks for the reply :-)

roger

Nodo central de la red Infomed                 (http://www.sld.cu)
Usuario linux: 97152                           (http://counter.li.org)
Miembro del grupo de coordinacion de LinuxCuba (http://www.linux.cu)

Este mensaje fue enviado usando el servicio de correo en web de Infomed
http://webmail.sld.cu