Re: Production Version of Fedora?

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 14:14, Elliot Lee wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Bill Morris wrote:
>
> >   Is there a version of Fedora that can be installed on
> > a production web server or is it all considered beta?
> >
> >   Will there be stable production releases in the future?
>
> As I understand it (*), Fedora Core's main target is developers and
> enthusiasts, not 'must-be-super-stable' production deployments.
>
> In other words, the goal is to develop amazing & cool new software, not to
> make it polished for deployment. That's something for other projects or
> products to take care of.

I don't think Fedora will not be polished enough for deployment -- it
will most likely be other things that will keep "the enterprise" from
using it:

- no support
- no guarantees (e.g. ABI-wise)
- short life cycle (though Fedora Legacy might weaken this point)

I for myself expect (not in the sense of demanding it -- except from
myself -- but rather thinking it will happen this way) Fedora to be very
polished, after all it's the developers' collective reputation that's on
stake ;-).

Nils
--
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp@xxxxxxxxxx