Kernel compilation

Hi,

I'd like to compile kernel optimized for athlon. Currently my box runs
2.4.22-1.2110.
My goal is to compile the same kernel (identical config) but optimized for
athlon.
1. There are some default configs, but are they the same as for the
precompiled kernel?
2. Is it enough to run make config, check the procesor architecture for
athlon settings and quit?
3. If so - finally how to produce initrd image?

Thanks
Szymon