Re: CUPS Nightmare

Thanks, Erwin, for the reply.

I have tried a couple of things based on the good responses from this
list.

I now have 2 queues defined on the server.  One is called HP841C and it is
intended to be used for printing from the server.  It is defined with the
correct driver for the HP841C printer.  The other queue on the server is
called HP841C_SHARED and it is set up as a raw queue.  I used the Redhat
printer config tool to set this latter queue as shared.  The first queue
is not shared.

On the laptop, when I look in CUPS (http://localhost:631), I can see both
printers, but I cannot print to either.  If I try to print a test page to
the HP841C_SHARED queue it prints many pages of junk, like what you would
expect when the driver is wrong.

If I try to create a queue on the laptop (via CUPS) and point it at the
HP841C_SHARED queue on the server, using any of the protocols that are
listed (ipp, lpr, etc., - I've tried every one), I cannot print a test
page at all.  When I try, I get various messages listed on the CUPS
printer page, such as "Remote host did not accept control file (112)".

I am very confused by the fact that I need to use the Redhat printer
config tool for some portion of this process, and the CUPS web interface
for others.  I don't understand how these two tools play together.

And, the main problem remains. I cannot yet print from my laptop.  I can
print from the server, but nothing I do lets me print from the laptop.

If there is any additional information I can provide to this list that
will help get this resolved, please let me know what I need to share.  I
would really like to get this working without having to go back to Redhat
8 or something I know works.

Thanks again for all the help!
Bill Johnson

--
Bill Johnson

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and
mighty things that thou knowest not."  Jeremiah 33:3