Boot Loader Detection: GRUB or LILO?

Is there any way to detect which boot loader is the working one?
Simply detecting whether a grub or lilo package is installed may not
be sufficient, especially in the case where both are installed. I
suppose I could look to see which is more recent, grub.conf or
lilo.conf, but I can think of several scenarios unde which this would
fail.

It's time to update my bare metal recovery scripts
(http://www.charlescurley.com/Linux-Complete-Backup-and-Recovery-HOWTO.html)
to handle grub, and I'd like to detect the current boot loader if
possible.