Re: easy networking question (maybe)

On Sat, 2003-10-11 at 17:48, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
> How does one set-up Dynamic DNS under fedora?

You find a providor, like the most excellent http://www.dyndns.org, and
read their documentation, which should give you a clear idea.  The short
of it is, you sign up with them (they have a free service as well as
for-pay services), you download some piece of software, you tell the
software what your username/password is for the service, and it takes
care of the rest.

Or, if you want to do things the easy way (and perhaps even more secure,
if you're not familiar with fine-tuning firewalls and such) is to go get
a router/firewall appliance; The netgear home cable/dsl router I just
installed for a friend has possibly the coolest setup procedure ever
-plug it in, connect, tell it to detect all your cable/dsl settings,
give it your dyndns info (it handles that for you!), and punch the
proper holes in the firewall (port 80, whatever), and be done with it
forever more.