RE: Fedora and the System Administrator

As I have been reading it and seeing it interpreted, someone can create
a software package containing both proprietary and open source code.
There are restrictions on how to keep the proprietary from becoming open
source but if a product contains proprietary information, the source
code to that information does not have to be distributed but the open
source source code must be distributed EXACTLY as it was used in the
compiled binary. On is not permitted to create a program and deliver
modified source code for it.  Therefore a binary distribution could be
restricted without question.

If 100% of the code and project were open source, the person who
compiles it can distribute that compile, ever if it were exactly the
same and therefore negate the "no distribution" clause.  Proprietary
components such as trademarks and graphics appear to be enough to allow
for a no-distribution and force a would-be cloner to make code changes
to redistribute the package under a different name.

If I remember what I read correctly, Red Hat allows the trademarks and
graphics from Fedora to be distributed with the binary IF there is no
alteration from the original.  If the code is changed or re-compiled,
then the copy has to be stripped of all of the trademarks and whatever
graphics are proprietary.

Buck