Re: fedora on IBM T40 wireless/touchpad issues

Am Sa, den 29.11.2003 schrieb Vince Scimeca um 03:40:
> 1 - the T40 has what I call the traditional nipple mouse which I prefer
> to use and it also has the touchpad mouse which I would like to
> disable.  I haven't been able to figure out how to do this.

Disabling the touchpad has several advantages. Perform the following
steps:

-  power on the laptop, during the initial screen press the "AccessIBM"
button to access the BIOS configuration menue
-  select configuration utility from the menu then "config". You will
find a "Keyboard/Mouse" entry, select it and deactivate the touchpad.

Deactivating the touchpad makes the third mouse button of the trackpoint
available under Linux. My be, you would like to use it in a mouse wheel
emulation mode (and use the left and right button to emulate the middle)
as it is used in windows. To achieve this you have to modify the
/etc/X11/XF86Config file.

Look for the lines:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "PS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Replace the line Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no" by the following lines:

#       Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
# Additions made manually
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
        Option      "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
        Option      "EmulateWheel" "yes"
        Option      "EmulateWheelButton" "2"
# Specifies how far (in pixels) the pointer must move to generate
# button press/release events in wheel emulation mode. Default: 50
        Option      "EmulateWheelInertia" "2"

You can fine tune the wheel effect by modifying the last line. The
default value is much to rough for me.

> 2 - the T40 has a Intel 802.11b Wireless(MPCI) card which Fedora does
> not find, any idea how to set this up?

You may try the (commercial) driverloader wrapper program, which makes
native windows driver (www.linuxant.com) work under Linux. Not really
desirable, but the currant version works quite well.

I've written a report about installing fedora on an T40p (in German, in
the proces of translating). Could send you a copy off list.

Peter