Re: how to update Python in fc1

On Friday 28 November 2003 15:48, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On 28/11/03 Pavel Vaviline did say:
>
> > I tried udpate python 2.2.3 coming winth distribution to python
2.3.2.
> > And now i have to python.
> > The question is - how to make python 2.3 version default for entire
> > distribution.
>
>     You roll your own rpms.
>
>     Mike

I don't think you want to do this - many of Red Hat's configuration
tools use Python (and pygtk/pygnome). The Red Hat tools probably work
fine (it's possible some may need minor modifications), but you also
need to recompile all the extra Python modules that some of the Red
Hat programs use (pygtk/pygnome being one of them).

The best solution is to leave the python that came with Red Hat where
it is and install the version you want in /usr/local. Then you just
put /usr/local/bin in the front of your path (leaving /usr/bin at the
front of root's path). I know this was discussed in the past when Red
Hat 7.x still came with Python 1.5.2 and peopled wantd to use Python
2.x).

Dave