disappearing modem on Digital PC 5400

I just finished installing Fedora Core 1 on an old Digital PC 5400 (200 MHz Pentium Pro from back in the pre-DIMM days). The computer came with Windows NT, but I fetched what files were of interest to me and did a clean install, giving the whole 8.something Gbyte hard drive over to Linux (it has the latest BIOS I can find for it, which claims to support 8.something Gbyte hard drives)..

On the computer I had installed a Sony SuperStation (which I have read elsewhere is a big mistake, but that's probably not important right now) and a Zoom modem--I am pretty sure it is not a Windows-only modem, since I made a point of avoiding them in anticipation of a move to Linux. The Fedora installation apparently detected it, because when I did the reboot after the install, the screen showing the details of booting came up and said that I'd removed a "generic serial modem," and did I want to remove the configuration? I said yes. I have no reason to doubt that it did so, but firing up the Hardware Browser shows that it sees a "Zoom V90 Internal Faxmodem Unknown".

This computer is planned to go to a friend who could use it, and she'll need dialup capabilities. How should I proceed from this point to get the modem recognized and usable? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

   James Jones