Re: /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld start

Dexter Ang wrote:
just wondering if this is only happening to me. i have set up mysql to
require a password for "root" upon login. now, whenever i start mysql
using /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld start, i get the message that starting
mysql timed-out and failed, even though it actually started. checking
that script, i've determined that it hangs when it tries to ping the
mysql server (mysqladmin ping), since ping-ing now requires a password.
my temporary solution was to comment the ping part out (just so i can
get an OK for mysql's startup. was this how it always was? i've used rh9
with mysql before, with the exact same setup (root requires psasword no
matter where logging in from), and this never occurred. is this only
happening to me? any solution on how to allow "mysqladmin ping" without
requiring a password?

dex