Re: Tuxracer on Fedora - SLOW!

On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 12:14, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 11:09, Tarjei Knapstad wrote:
> > No, he means that you haven't installed nVidia's 3D accelerated drivers
> > for linux. The ones which comes with XFree86 (which are the ones you're
> > currently using) have crap 3D performance.
> > See the FAQ: http://fedora.artoo.net/faq/#nVidia
>
> The FAQ should mention why this happens:
>   Q: Why are they crappy?
>   A: They're not exactly crappy, 2D works quite well.

Thus, I specifically said _3D_.

>      NVIDIA is not helpful towards Free Software and will not help
>      developers with specifications which would result in 3D drivers

And ATI is any better?

>   Q: What do I loose if I choose to be dependent on NVIDIA:
>   A: Freedom, support from many Linux developers, probably the ability
> to view some DVDs, etc...
>
> All the faq does is explaining how to have 3D with NVIDIA's drivers,
> without even hinting at why this happens and how bad it is.

What on earth are you getting at? Try getting a laptop with ATI Mobility
M6 or M7 chips to run X properly and you'll see that ATI is no better in
this regard.

nVIDIA have supported (supported in the sense of _provided_, not in the
sense of _open source_) 3D drivers for linux for far longer than ATI.
IMHO nVIDIA's unified driver architecture is a far better alternative
than ATI, but that's just me.

You personal grudges have no place in a FAQ. Neither does my own.

--
Tarjei