Re: Mozilla and SSL connections

On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 18:13, Mike Lurk wrote:
> I have had a problem with mozilla and SSL for the longest time. Every
> time I try to connect to a site that uses SSL (https://URL) it gives me
> a blank page. One thing I did find out, If I use Opera and change the
> identifier to IE 6.0 instead of the Opera identifier or even the Mozilla
> identifier I can connect and all of the page displays.
>
> My question is where can I change the mozilla identifier to fool those
> sites that I am using the IE 6.0 identifier.
>
> Or am I on the wrong track and there is something else that has to be
> done.
>
> Any help Would be appreciated

Mike,

You might think about being more careful what you ask for. :-) If you
could force Mozilla to masquerade as IE, chances are a web site will
start pumping out Microsoft non-standard JavaScript and give your
browser a stroke. With its strict implementation of ECMA-262, Mozilla is
like a miner's canary in the presence of non-standard Javascript.

At work we treat Mozilla as a "reference standard browser". We test all
the web code we write with Mozilla. When it works with Mozilla, we know
it will work with IE. Unfortunately the reverse is not true.

When you connect to that https blank page, are any errors reported in
your JavaScript console? If so, I would report them to the webmaster.
Unless he's a complete zot, he'll want to fix his code.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL