Re: Error: Anaconda hangs during/after /sbin/loader

m2bruce@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi,

I'm having a problem with an installation on a Compaq 1211CA laptop.  The laptop has 192 MB of memory, and is using a 1GHz Athalon processor.  Ide Hard drive.

The problem occurs in graphical and text mode after the kernel is loaded.  Here are the last few lines that i see on the terminal.

Greetings.
anaconda installer init version 9.2 starting
mounting /proc filesystem... done
mounting /dev/pts (unix98 pty) filesystem... done
trying to remount root filesystem read write... done
mounting /tmp as ramfs... done
running install...
running /sbin/loader

at this point, the screen will flash and switch resolution then all disks spin down after 10-15 seconds. Keyboard interrupts do not work. The 'nofb' option stops the screen from changing resolutions, but the halt occurs at the same place. i've tried disabling apm, acpi, and using ide=nodma. The install has been run with defaults, and with mem=192M.

Hmm... I'm seeing a similar problem on both Compaq Presario 2100Z and 2550 models. The symptoms I see are that it hits "running /sbin/loader" and then never does anything else. If I boot to mediacheck, it works fine, but both rescue boot and regular install boots seem to hang at that point. I do not see any screen flash, and I can ctrl-alt-delete to shutdown & reboot, but it hangs reliably at the same point. I've checked the media and it passed, and I've tried different cd's, all with the same result. And the cd's were made from iso images which passed md5sum checks.

I don't have a fix, but I do have a workaround: I do an NFS-based install, using the directions in the README on the CD. I'm guessing the size of the boot image being read off CD is somehow related, as smaller images required for mediacheck and askmethod work, but the larger install and rescue images fail. Even for rescue, I can use "linux askmethod rescue acpi=on" and choose NFS. I haven't tried, but I'm guessing if I chose any of the other install methods other than CD, it would work. NFS was just the most convenient for me.

  "Oh scholar, if your scholarship benefits not Mankind,
   you deserve not admiration but contempt." -- Kahlil Gibran