Re: RSYNC Fedora

> Brian>     I once asked a woman that worked at Veritas in tech
support.
> Brian> She said that on all these RAID arrays, loss of a second disk
is
> Brian> _ALWAYS_ fatal.  I was stunned.
>
> Yup, she was right.
>
> Brian>     I mean, a 30 drive array...and if the second drive goes
out, the
> Brian> entire thing is toast?
>
> If you choose to set up a single array with 30 drives in it, that is
correct.

> Brian>     There gets to be a point where this is a problem.  In 1-5
disk
> Brian> arrays, what are the chances of a second drive going out?
Right:
> Brian> almost nil.
>
> Brian>     But when you have 50 drives in a special bay, the chances
of a
> Brian> second drive going out while you locate a vendor, find out it's
been
> Brian> obsoleted since it was installed, order a new part....
>
> Exactly, so as the old joke goes when the guy tells his doctor it
hurts
> when he moves his arm, then don't do that! :-)
>
> Instead, keep the number of drives in any given array low.  If you
need
> more space, look at getting bigger drives.  If you need even more
space,
> consider "stacking" arrays (make a RAID 0 array out of as many 3-drive
RAID
> 5 arrays as you need to reach your storage requirements, for
example).  By
> doing this you still are exposed to the risk of multiple drives
failing at
> any given time, but you reduce the exposure of any one array losing
more
> than one drive.
>
>                                 Ed
> --
> Ed Bailey        Red Hat, Inc.          http://www.redhat.com/

Depending on your RAID software you might also include a spare disk or
two in the diskgroup. A disk fails and you replace it. You can have
Veritas scream to syslog if a disk dies and you can schedule
replacement.

Not sure if any of the hardware raid solutions let you have spare disks,
but seems possible.

ciao!

leam