Re: 2.6-test10 and ECN

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Nathan G. Grennan wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 22:19, Barry K. Nathan wrote:
> > I'd argue that the /etc/sysctl.conf line is the real "fix", insofar as
> > disabling ECN at all can be considered a "fix" and not a "workaround".
> > Then people have the option of editing /etc/sysctl.conf to re-enable
> > ECN, without having to recompile the kernel.
> >

>    This could be argued, but the main problem with it is not every
> newbie knows about it. Even though I knew about it from the past it took
> me a few days to put two and two together. Ideally you could enable ECN
> support, but change the default from enabled to disabled.

You are using test kernels. You are supposed to know what you are doing.
If you are going to test you should test everything possible. Newbies are
not supposed to be using test kernels if they do then the problems are on them.

>    As far as I know there isn't even a large gain from it. So if it is a
> small gain for a big loss of functionality by default, I say disable by
> default.

Maybe in production but not in test. Otherwise it will never get tested.

.....Tom